Dental implants have revolutionized restorative dentistry, offering an aesthetic, genuine-looking tooth replacement solution. However, like real teeth, dental implants require the right care and maintenance for longevity. At Brentwood Dental, we offer high-quality dental implants in Calgary. So in this article, we’ll explore the essential tips for taking care of your dental implant, enabling you to enjoy a healthy and confident smile for years to come.
1. Maintain a Rigorous Oral Hygiene Routine
Regular oral hygiene practices are crucial for maintaining the health of your dental implant. And with a few simple daily exercises, you can ensure the longevity of your dental implants. Ensure your oral health routine consists of the following:
- Daily brushing: Brush your teeth at least twice daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Pay special attention to the area around the implant, cleaning it thoroughly but gently.
- Flossing at the end of each day: Foss daily to remove plaque and debris from hard-to-reach areas using unwaxed tape or implant-specific floss.
- Avoid bad oral habits: This can include consuming too many sugary drinks, eating bad foods, and smoking. The latter not only compromises your physical health but your oral health as well.
2. Choose Implant-Friendly Oral Care Products
Choosing oral care products designed explicitly for implants is essential to protect your dental implant and surrounding gum tissues. Opt for a non-abrasive toothpaste and fluoride mouthwash without alcohol. These products will prevent damage to the implant surface and ensure optimal oral health.
3. Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Regular dental visits are crucial for the long-term success of your dental implant. Schedule regular check-ups with your dentist at least every six months or as otherwise advised. During these visits, your dentist will examine your implant, assess your oral health, and perform professional cleanings to remove plaque or tartar buildup.
4. Be Mindful of Your Diet
A healthy diet plays a significant role in maintaining the health of your dental implant. Avoid excessively hard or sticky foods that can put undue stress on your implant or cause damage. Furthermore, limit your intake of sugary foods and beverages to prevent plaque buildup and reduce the risk of gum disease, which can affect the stability of your implant. Here are some foods you should avoid (or at the very least, limit) to perverse the integrity of your dental implant:
- Hard or crunchy foods such as chips and tacos
- Sticky candies and gum
- Sodas and energy drinks
- Tough meats
- Hot and spicy foods
- Seeds and nuts
- Acidic foods (pickles, citrus fruits, certain dressings, etc.)
5. Protect Your Implant During Physical Activities
If you regularly engage in physical activities or sports that involve contact or the potential for facial trauma, you’ll want to protect your dental implant. Wear a mouthguard or face shield to prevent any impact or injury that could damage the implant or surrounding tissues.
Proper care and maintenance are critical for the long-term health of your dental implant. By following these tips, you can ensure its longevity and optimal function. Remember, a healthy implant leads to a confident smile and improved oral health. At Brentwood Dental, our expert dentists create a welcoming environment the moment you walk through our doors. So whether you require a simple check-up, bridges, crowns, fillings, or anything in between, we’re here to meet your dental needs. Contact us today to learn more.