Wisdom teeth, or third molars, are notorious for their unpredictability. Typically, their crowns start forming between ages 8 and 12, with eruption often occurring between ages 17 and 21.
Nonetheless, impacted or partially impacted wisdom teeth might emerge later.
While it’s challenging to determine the exact timing of their appearance, it’s often advised to consider extraction between ages 18 and 20 to reduce potential complications. There are several reasons for removing wisdom teeth due to the oral issues they can cause.
It’s crucial to watch out for certain signs suggesting the need for extraction. It’s best to consult a dentist to assess these signs and consider wisdom teeth removal before the teeth fully develop.
How Wisdom Teeth Can Be Problematic
As humans evolved, the size of our jaws reduced, leading to less space for these late bloomers. Consequently, when wisdom teeth begin to emerge, typically between the ages of 17 and 21, there might not be enough room for them.
This lack of space can cause them to become impacted or emerge at an angle, which can result in several complications.
Signs It’s Time for Wisdom Teeth Extraction
- Pain and Discomfort – One of the most evident signs is consistent pain at the back of your mouth. If you feel persistent discomfort or swelling around the area, it’s time to consult a dentist.
- Crowding of Teeth – Wisdom teeth can push neighboring teeth, causing misalignment. If you notice shifting in your teeth or increased tightness, wisdom teeth might be the culprits.
- Infection or Gum Disease – Partially erupted wisdom teeth can create pockets where bacteria can thrive, leading to infections or gum disease.
- Cysts or Tumors – In rare cases, impacted wisdom teeth can lead to the formation of cysts or tumors in the jawbone, demanding immediate attention.
- Sinus Issues – Problems with upper wisdom teeth can sometimes manifest as sinus pain, pressure, or congestion.
Benefits of Timely Wisdom Teeth Removal
Removing wisdom teeth at the right time can prevent potential complications like:
- Damage to neighboring teeth
- Altered jawbone structure
- Sinus issues
- Unwanted shifts in teeth alignment
Moreover, younger patients often recover faster and have fewer complications post-surgery.
Wisom Teeth Extraction With Brentwood Village Dental
Choosing the right place for wisdom teeth extraction is as crucial as deciding to have them removed. Brentwood Village Dental houses an expert team of dentists providing a safe and reliable wisdom teeth removal. We offer:
- Comprehensive consultations to determine the necessity of the procedure.
- State-of-the-art technology ensuring a seamless extraction process.
- Personalized post-operative care, ensuring a swift recovery.
The journey of wisdom teeth removal requires trust, expertise, and care. At Brentwood Village Dental, you can be assured of all three, making your experience as comfortable and efficient as possible.